Re: compiling sources

bob@gonzo.spoiler.demon.co.uk spake thus:

> Finally,
> 	How do I compile up Debian source code safely so that it doesn't
> upset dpkg?
> 	Specifically, I want to recompile VIM to use the X version, but
> I don't want to upgrade to Slink and have to do the job all over again.
> There must be a safe 'Debian' way? I had a look at dpkg-source but that
> didn't help much.

what do you mean dpkg-source didnt help much?  i needed to do the
exact same thing, and it worked...

download the three files for
vim you need, namely:

    vim_xxx.orig.tar.gz
    vim_xxxx-x.diff.gz
    vim_xxxx-x.dsc

change to the directory where you untar your sources, and do
'dpkg-source -x vim_xxxx-x.dsc'.  this will create a vim-xxx directory.

change to it, and run 'debian/rules binary'.  if you want no X support,
edit 'debian/rules' and modify the line that calls ./configure accordingly.

hope this helps,

-leon

--
Leon Breedt                                                  |  Debian 2.0
Developer, Obsidian Systems                                  | Linux 2.2.1

We are Debian of Borg.  Resistance is useless.  You will be packaged.