GRiD install

I've been trying to install linux on a grid laptop and when it probes the ide
controller ( I think, its after the line starting with hda, identifying the
harddrive, one more line comes up then) the system reboots.  Anyone know how
to fix this?  Is there a way to tell it where the HD is so it doesn't have to
probe?  when I reserve the area it loads the kernal and makes it straight to
ash but nothing works in there.  Any help would be apreciated.
Tom