wxPython on debian?

I want to start experimenting with wxwindows and wxpython in order to
write cross-platform applications.  I did install wxgtk2_1.96-1.deb, but
could not do anything usefull with it.  I could not get wxpython to
compile due to missing header files.  So I removed it.

According to some people using wxpython I should get wxGTK2.  1.96 is too
old.  I could not find a debian package and did download wxGTK2b5.tgz
which depends on gtk+-1.0.6 so I downloaded a Slackware package named
gtk+-1.0.6.tar.bz2.  Now I do not know my way forward.

I have installed on my system (hamm with some slink and potato packages)
gimp and do not want to get it broken.

It seems that debian is far behind on the availability for these kind of
packages.  Can somebody give advice on my way forward.

Johann
| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a
      shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the
      trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first;
      Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up
      together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in
      the air; and so shall we ever be with the Lord."
                          I Thessalonians 4:16,17