Re: help! dd wiped out source partition

> Richard E. Hawkins writes:
> > I then made a partition the same size as /home at the very end of
> > the disk, and used dd to copy the old partition to the new.

> *Exactly* what dd command did you give?  What does the new partition look
> like now?

dd if=/dev/hda6 of=/dev/hda7

where 6 was the old location

> I am very much afraid that you copied the new partition onto the old.  If
> so, it's hopeless.

nope, I've found it, and it was more subtle than I expected.

Looking closely at the partition table, even though it started & ended at the same location, it didn't have the same number of blocks.

I deleted again, reconstructed the swap partitions leading into it,
and it came back.

I then made half a gig of compressed tarballs and stuffed them on a
spare drive on my boss's machine . . .

rick