Re: Sentry and /sbin/setup.sh

Pollywog  <pollywog@shadypond.com> writes:
Pollywog> I need to start Abacus Sentry when my machine boots, but
Pollywog> unlike other apps that will start from /sbin/setup.sh Sentry
Pollywog> just crashes when I do it that way.

As was discussed earlier, that script isn't inteded to be used that
way.  You should probably create a script in /etc/init.d that DTRT.

Pollywog> Is there a way to start sentry after every other process has
Pollywog> finished?

Yes, by setting the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d so that it runs in the
correct order.

Read /usr/doc/sysvinit/README.runlevels.gz and look at the
documentation pointed to in /etc/init.d/README for more information.

Pollywog> Perhaps by using an 'at' command to start Sentry one minute
Pollywog> after everything else starts?

Can you guarantee that the rest of your system will come up in under a
minute?  Five?  That the program won't be needed if the system does
come up early?  (And this is an ugly hack besides.  :-)

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
"Hey, Doug, do you mind if I push the Emergency Booth Self-Destruct Button?"