Apache will not authenticate anyone!

I've been trying to set up mod_roaming, and I have had no luck.  Apache
will not authenticate anyone, but Netscape seems to find the server and
it will try to log in.

I've also tried to make a .htaccess and a .htpasswd file in my
public_html directory, and it will not even authenticate a user I've
created with htpasswd. Authentication seems to be broken completely in
my copy of Apache.

I've worked with Apache for quite a while and I have no idea why this
would be happening.  I've never had problems like this with
authentication.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Thanks,

Ben