apt-get install from local directory of Deb files

I am trying to get apt to work installing .deb files from a local directory.
I have no packages list and I cannot seem to figure out how to make the
FILE: uri stem work.  I guess the problem is that they are just sitting
there so I say:

deb file:/dosc/zips/debs

in my /etc/apt/sources.list.  But I get a parse error.  I guess I need
something for the distribution etc.

Any ideas.

BTW, anyone looking for some great gui tools for working with .debs, try
gnome-apt.  I love it.  If only I could edit my sources.list in it :->

Andrew MacKenzie