Re: lilo

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Chen Xu wrote:

> When I installed FreeBSD I installed boot manager. So when I boot, I
> can have chices F1 for DOS and F2 for FreeBSD. And F5 for second disk,
> which is not working yet.

> Question:
> How can I configure Lilo to boot Debian directly from HD? Will the
> installation remove the boot manger I already have? Is there any way
> that I configure my boot manager(boot easy) to boot Debian from HD
> without installing Lilo?

If you're trying to do something complicated, you need to know what you're
doing.  I just skimmed your message so my information may be incomplete or
incorrect.  You have been warned.

The approach that is normally taken to have lilo coexist with a boot
program is to install lilo in the boot sector of the boot partition and
then tell whatever booter you're using that that partition is bootable.
Do NOT put LILO in the master boot record for the disk (unless you're
installing Linux on the second disk and it's needed by FreeBSD's boot
manager for some reason) as it will overwrite the FreeBSD's boot manager.

Works like a champ with IBM's Boot Manager and System Commander.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-895-8101   http://www.brokersys.com/