Re: Sound configuration not in initial install

>> "M" == MallarJ  <MallarJ@aol.com> writes:

M> In a message dated 2/13/99 12:09:41 PM Central Standard Time,
M> martin@internet- treff.uni-koeln.de writes:

>> Because sound in 2.0 kernels is not modular enough. IO, IRQ etc. have
>> to be hardcoded into the kernel. Some option must not be set for some
>> soundcard, whereas others have to be etc.
>>

M> Is there some reason these can't be set up in a config file so that
M> it CAN be included in the initial installation?

Yes. It is a kernel/driver issue. The OSS as present in 2.0 kernels
has to have the things compiled into it.

m> Seems to me hardcoding these values is against Debian's policy of
m> allowing us to configure everything but the kitchen sink.

There is no such policy. And we can't rewrite the linux kernel.

Anyway, this is academic. The 2.2 kernel series has sounddrivers which
can be be given irq and io values on load.

Ciao,
	Martin