Re: NON-US means?

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Richard Harran wrote:

> I think that it is still an export thing: the difference is that the
> international version has weaker encryption, which is not covered by
> the export laws (and is less secure: probably the which ever agency it
> is can crack it).
> However, I'm English, so what would I know?
> Rich

Nope. Patents. There are companies in the us (well.. one I believe,
specifically) holding (singular here, too) patents that conflict with
the same internationally.. if you're in the US you need to get this
certain method of crypto from these certain patent holders, unless you're
outside in which case the export laws bite you. There is nothing against
importation of crypto in the US. (yet. The US government does not have a
reputation for intelligence.)