2940UW installation problem

Hi,

I am trying a completely new installation of Debian 2.0 on a machine
which boots from an IDE adapter and also has an Adaptec 2940UW
controller.  I am booting from the CDROM and the installation goes into
an infinite loop on the following lines:

    SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
    SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
    SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
    SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid 0) timed out - trying harder

This group of messages repeats forever...

I also downloaded the latest unstable version of the recovery disk but
this one just hangs right before these messages.

How can I continue the installation?  For the time being I can live
without the SCSI controller, but the installation program doesn't seem
to have an option to skip the SCSI probe (and no, I wouldn't want to
pull out the card since other OSs are using it just fine).

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Avi

--