Re: Maxtor dynamic drive overlay

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Sergey V Kovalyov wrote:

> I wonder if anyone knows what is Maxtor Dynamic Drive Overlay and how to
> get rid of it. It seems to be a part of the hard drive. And it causes my
> boot to take about 3 minutes (to get to lilo).
> I don't have such problems with other hard drives and I did not have such
> a problem with this one before I've installed Linux.

This is a workaround for DOS-based systems to get around the 1024 cylinder
limit.  I believe it resides in the master boot record and am not
surprised that it causes problems with lilo.

The disk I once used it on came with a DOS floppy that had a program to
remove it.  Possibly you could get this from Maxtor, On-Track (who wrote
the program) or a distributor.

Bob

----