Re: chmod on vfat

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, David Webster wrote:

 : Only root can write to a vfat partition.  I suppose because vfat
 : contains no extended attributes for security you cannot simply chmod on
 : a file/directory to allow someone other than root to write to it.  Any
 : work arounds to allow someone other than root to write to a vfat
 : partition?

Yeah, use an fstab entry like this (this is ntfs but applies to
vfat/msdos also afaik)

  /dev/hda1 /ntdrv1 ntfs user,exec,nosuid,gid=50,umask=002 0 2
  /dev/hda2 /ntdrv2 ntfs user,exec,nosuid,gid=50,umask=002 0 2

In this case we allow the group "staff" write access; any user has read
access. You could change the umask to mean that only staff has read
access, and that normal users have no access whatsoever.

Have fun ...

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD