HDD LED ON continously with Kernel 2.2.1-ac5

Hello:

A real quirk has raised its head upon my Debian GNU/Linux box.  I have
compiled and put the devel. kernel 2.2.1-ac5.  When I boot into this test
kernel, the HDD LED glows ON and does not get OFF when there is no
seek.  It remains ON until I shut off the machine. Why is this so ?
While compiling the kernel, I had enabled 'Direct DMA support'.  Is this
creating the wanton quirk ?  I presume that the HDD LED ON does not damage
my Hard Disk and am real puzzled.......

ragOO, VU2RGU
--
Keeping the Air-Waves FREE.....Amateur Radio
Keeping the WWW       FREE..Debian GNU/Linux