Help: how to set the default X server???

hello,

regularly when updates of the X system are made, my Laptop looses his X server,
because a strange little Program replaces the link i am used to set on it
(/usr/X11R6/bin/X is, as an old Slackware user a link to the right server),
furher i use a server that comes from the redhat distribution since it is a
neomagic chipset....

i looked at the update-* admin progs, but didn't find one for the X system, so
how is this supposed to work normally?

BTW other question:
i am setting this laptop for my sister (a computer-phobiac...) nad wanted ot
have a faces-xdm, took the one from kde, but the thingie refuses to store the
list of allowed users i try to learn it: after each reboot of the system this
list is erased and all (junk-)users appear once more. Furhter the size of this
is way too enourmous, where can i resize it(didn't find its ressources...)?

Ans another one on the same theme: what variable does kdm set to be able to
choose the windowmanager?

ciao
bboett
acount at earthling net
http://erm6.u-strasbg.fr/~bboett
Unsolicited commercial email is NOT welcome at this email address
To contact me replace acount by bboett in above addresses