smbmount hangs

I am using smbmount to mount a remote drive and it works well except in
our large data folders. These folders have roughly 2500 data files in
them. If I try any of the following commands in these mounted directory
the prompt just hangs and nothing happens for many minutes (using dos
lanman or Nt the listing is almost instanteous).

ls
ls *.raw
cp *.raw ~/

more specific commands appear to work reasonably quickly

ls c0.raw
cp c0.raw ~/

Using smbclient I don't have any problems.

I use the following command to mount the samba share

smbmount sharename /home/username/sgi -U username -C -P password

using debian 2.0.38 kernal I think.

Go easy on me I'm only a Linux novice and am still learning all the
commands.

cheers
matt cocker