Re: slashdot poll

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Randy Edwards wrote:

>   I think overall we could eliminate a *lot* of the prompts in an install
>just by making assumptions.  Perhaps a two-mode install should be used: expert
>and novice mode.  Ask the expert everything, let them have full power.

you could easily go even farther than that?  OK, this might be
impractical, but it sounds easy...

Each step could be assigned (internally) a ranking according to user
knowledge:  1 = what's a computer ---to--- 10 = Linus

at the beginning of the install, you rank yourself.  Then, for each
step,
1) Explanation is automatically offered if it ranks higher than you AND
2) a default config is assumed if it ranks higher than you.

You could make it so that the explanation is also available in expert
modes via a help button....

This is Michael's suggestion v0.1       Just an idea.

					-Michael

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305