Re: slashdot poll

Kent West wrote:

> To sum up: 1) better help screens in base install, 2) better help screens
> in pppconfig, 3) a no-fuss minimal X install that any idiot can get going.

Coming from the standpoint of someone who isn't an IT professional and an admitted pc
novice and Linux idiot; I'd like to say I agree with this.  I found the base
instillation to be easier than I imagined but then I imagined I wouldn't be able to
install the base for a few days.  It took me an afternoon.  I remember very little
about the process because I had no idea what I was doing.  I would have loved to have
had more information about the options I was choosing.  I just guessed a number of
times.  I can understand it might be cumbersome to have unneeded info during the
instillation process for knowledgeable people but you could actually streamline the
process and provide more info if you arranged the menu along the lines of:

Do you want ppp capability?y/n i
If you don't know what ppp is press "i"

Which would display a clear explanation of what ppp is and why you may or may not want
it.

At the bottom of the explanation you would be asked the question again.
Do you want ppp capability?y/n i

Something along those lines.  Maybe a bad example but you get my drift.

I'm not in the position to write such a script but if someone is and would like to,
I'd be willing to be the sounding board for what is written.  A demo installation
script could be put on a web site and a group could work on it.

I don't understand how making something easy to install makes it less configurable
later but if I could have both (ease and configurability) I would add to the above
list:
4. sound
5. printer
6. email/browser

Anyway I have learned a lot more than I did know two months ago about computers and
have enjoyed Debian very much:)
Kent