Re: quota on /var/spool/mail

> I think your logic has a slight flaw.  It checks to see if the mailbox IS
> CURRENTLY over quota, not if it WILL BE over quota AFTER the mail is
> delivered.
>
> In other words, mail comes in, the mailbox is checked to see if it is over
> quota. It is not so the mail is added. Then next mail arrives. The mailbox
> is now over quota from the previous mail so no more mail is delivered.

But how would you then explain this:

sol:forrest[~]>ll /var/spool/mail/forrest /var/spool/mail/testuser
-rw-------   1 forrest  mail        55651 Feb 10 07:46 /var/spool/mail/forrest
-rw-rw----   1 forrest  mail            0 Feb 10 08:07 /var/spool/mail/testuser
sol:forrest[~]>quota
Disk quotas for user forrest (uid 3217):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
      /dev/sda8      56    1000    2000               2       0       0
sol:forrest[~]>cat linux-2.2.1.tar.gz > /var/spool/mail/testuser
/var/spool/mail: warning, user disk quota exceeded
/var/spool/mail: write failed, user disk quota exceeded too long.
/var/spool/mail: write failed, user disk quota exceeded too long.
cat: write error: Disc quota exceeded
-rw-rw----   1 forrest  mail       962560 Feb 10 08:11 /var/spool/mail/testuser
sol:forrest[~]>quota
Disk quotas for user forrest (uid 3217):
     Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit   grace
      /dev/sda8    1001*   1000    2000    none       2       0       0

Juergen Nagler