Re: slashdot poll

On 09-Feb-99 William Schwartz wrote:
> I really hate to continue this thread, but I thought I'd throw in my
> experience. I was "turned on" to Linux by a friend, and he was using Debian,
> so I installed it and tried it. About 2 days later I had a working Debian
> system. Mind you I was a COMPLETE Unix numb-nuts. The only real command I
> knew was "ls". I also after playing with Debian for a week tried Red-Hat.
> The install went very well, but that was all I ever got done... I did not
> know how to get other "packages" installed and such. I was stuck with a
> "system" that was empty. It had almost nothing installed on it, and I did
> not know how to get any more installed on it. So, I went back to "dselect"
> (hamm) & Debian and have been using Debian ever since. Even if Red-hat has a
> good installation procedure, it was "dselect" that won me over.

That is interesting, because since I am more familiar with rpm,I have avoided
dselect.  I ordered a Debian CD yesterday for my laptop (my other machine runs
OpenLinux) so I will get another chance with the Debian packaging system.

If it works out, I might use Debian on both machines.  I like OpenLinux, but
Caldera does not yet use libraries I need to install newer software.

--
Andrew