Re: slashdot poll

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, William Schwartz wrote:

> I also after playing with Debian for a week tried Red-Hat.
> The install went very well, but that was all I ever got done... I did not
> know how to get other "packages" installed and such. I was stuck with a
> "system" that was empty. It had almost nothing installed on it, and I did
> not know how to get any more installed on it. So, I went back to "dselect"
> (hamm) & Debian and have been using Debian ever since. Even if Red-hat has a
> good installation procedure, it was "dselect" that won me over.

When i tested Redhat this was one of the most definitive turn offs.
One needed to have X11 up and running to have access to a rather
strange package management frontend.  Actually dselect is terrible in
ergonomic terms and intuitive usage but at least it works and does
it's job far better than this RPM frontend under X11.  And it even
works well when you take the time to read the documentation to get
aquainted with it's somewhat awkward handling.  I even began to like
it to some degree.  But then there is SuSE...

                                Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------
   --------------- http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig -----------------