Re: How to trace why a process is running?

Eric House writes:
> Scenario: my machine is on but hasn't been used for several hours when
> I notice the hard drive taking lots of hits.  I log on and run 'top'
> which tells me a 'find', owned by root, is using 25% of the CPU.

About 5AM?  probably cron running updatedb to update the database used by
'locate'.

> 'ps -ef', even as root, doesn't show the 'find'.

ps -ef does not show processes with no controlling terminal.

> Question: how do I figure out who started that 'find' and why?

Next time use 'ps axef'.  If you recall the exact time, look in the
/etc/crontab.  In fact, look in /etc/crontab (and
/etc/cron.{daily|weekly|monthly}) anyway.  It's educational.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)