Re: Inbound Mail Error!

Peter Ludwig:
> I've got a little problem with my Debian/Fetchmail/Exim Setup.
>
> When I am attempting to download my email off of the server I connect to I
> receive the following wonderful messages (from fetchmail) :-
>
> SMTP error 501 : (@mail.one.net.au) colon expected after domain
> SMTP error 501 : (khan) unqualified sender
>
> This happened about 1/3 of the way through downloading my mail and stopped
> me from getting anymore

I had this exact same problem, unfortunately I don't remember how I solved
it!

One thing, though - is this error when talking to the remote system, or to
your own exim? I would suspect it's the latter.

> (until I told fetchmail that error 501 is actually caused by the
> anti-spam section of my mail host, I have not got any anti-spam
> capabilities setup at this end, and my host does not use any anti-spam
> stuff themselves, they'd need to know what to do to set something like
> that up <grin>).

Actually, by default or almost-default exim detects invalid return
addresses on the envelope (which is what it's complaining about - since the
address started with a `@', it's expecting an address of the rather obscure
form `@host:address').

I think the solution is to tell exim to accept unqualified or invalid
addresses from localhost, and to qualify them with the appropriate domain.

> If anyone has any ideas what is going wrong, I can email them a copy of
> any cofig files they request (minus passwords of course).

Hmm, since I don't remember what I did to fix this, I can't promise
anything, but I can have a look and try and see what's different...

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently