workman and sound

I just installed workman so that I can listen to tunes, but it ain't
working.  Sound works, ie, I can do 'cat file.au > /dev/audio' and hear
sound.  Also, workman thinks that it is playing the CD.  I can watch the
time elapse, and it knows how many tracks are on the disk.  The only
problem is that nothing is coming out of the speakers.  I can hear music
by plugging headphones into the CD drive.

So which audio device is workman using?  I figure that I just need to
change permissions somewhere, but I'm not sure where.

Thanks,

Richard Hall
Network Services
University of Tennessee