Re: How to find files by text/subdirectories

On 07 Feb 1999q, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> What is the easiest way to locates files (say HTML) by text in their
> documents?  4DOS ffind is essentially what I am trying to do.  Is there
> a way to pipe 'find'?  Or do I need to use gawk?
> When I tried using gawk it would not allow me to search multiple
> directories.  I find never used
> gawk before so I probably didn't know what I was doing.  I would prefer
> to 'find' somehow but I am
> not sure how to search for text using it.  Any suggestions?
>
> Lance

Install glimpse. I don't know if there is a deb file of of this so you may
need to put it in /usr/local/. It makes an index of all the files on your
hard disk (or any subset of them you choose); then you can search for
whatever text strings you choose. Brilliant program.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell  -  running Linux Debian 2.0
acampbell@achc.demon.co.uk  http://www.achc.demon.co.uk

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on..."   - Edward Fitzgerald (Rubaiat of Omar Khayyam)