Re: soft links vs hard links (was Re: duplicate binaries)

I wrote:
> What's wrong with hard links for this?

> If you have hard links, and replace one of them, you still need to
> replace the other one, since it still points to the original file.

No.  If you have hard links and replace one of them, you replace the
original file.

> If you have soft links and replace the real file, the soft link points to
> the correct file immediately.

The only reason exactly one of egrep, fgrep or grep would be replaced is
if the maintainer split it out as a seperate binary.  The maintainer would
arrange for the appropriate link to be removed before the binary was
installed.  No problem.

> In addition, hard links cannot exist across file systems, which means
> that if you used them, you would have to check if both links are on the
> same file system, and otherways make a soft link anyway.  This would
> introduce the need for different maintenance routines depending on the
> physical layout of directories on file systems, which is Definitely Not
> What You Want.

Egrep, fgrep, and grep are all in the same directory.  In this case hard
links are exactly what you want.