Parallel printer no longer found

After upgrading to the 2.2.1 kernel on a Slink system my old NEC P6 printer
is no longer found at boot or in /proc/devices.  The boot messages reads

    lp: driver loaded but no devices found

I'm using modules (parport and parport_pc) for printer support, which I
also used successfully under a 2.1 series kernel.  I've tried the measures
outlined in Documentation/parport.txt, but no luck.

Can anyone help me figure out what I'm missing?

Thanks

Curt Daugaard
cld@mcs.net