Re: [apache-ssl] Suexec under Debian apache-ssl, was: how do I use UID setting?

On 7 Feb 99, at 18:26, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Chris Evans wrote:
> > httpd.h:#define SUEXEC_BIN  HTTPD_ROOT "/sbin/suexec"
> >
> > That has "HTTPD_ROOT" which isn't in the apache suexec html
> > documentation but seems to point me to /sbin as the debian
> > location for suexec. So I put it there, chown root, chmod 4711 and
> > restart apache-ssl.
> >
> > It _DOESN'T_ print a line saying it's using suexec there or
> > anywhere else.
> >
> > I call a file with owner and group chris (UID=1000 = the minimum I
> > set in suexec.h) within the directory tree of apache-ssl, not setuid,
> > nor setgid, directory not writable by anyone else.
>
> You are not the first to be foxed by this. In fact the construct above
> prepends HTTPD_ROOT to /sbin/suexec, so the place you want to put it is
> in sbin/suexec under HTTPD__ROOT (which is defined somewhere else in the
> headers).

Thanks Ben,

So I moved suexec to /usr/local/apache/sbin/

Still no evidence that either apache-ssl (or apache if I try that) are
finding it there if they put up that reassuring message about using
it as they are loaded.  Still no joy in it doing what I'd want but not
sure I really understand the user directory issue nor really how
suexec is invoked.

Is there anything that suexec does if invoked from with a shell that
would reassure me it's compiled right?  O.K. I guess not!  Anything
I can do to quiz apache-ssl about its configuration and whether it's
HTTPD_ROOT is where I think it is (from the apach-dev headers in
/usr/include/apache-1.3)?

I can't see anything the debian changelog about this.

TIA,

Chris

PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle  Tel/fax.:(+44|0)181-671 0868
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org