Re: how do I use UID setting?

Thanks very much to Gerard and several others who are helping out
my newbie fumblings on this thread.  I'm clearer now about setuid
and might end up taking the suidperl route but for now I'm pursuing
apache's own suexec:

On 7 Feb 99, at 7:50, Gerard MacNeil wrote:

> If I got this right this time, you want 'suexec'.  This functionality
> allows the default user (nobody in your case) to run a process as a
> different user (ie. chris).  The write privileges are then for 'chris'
> The Apache docs tell you how to use it.

Yes, spot on, trust me not to have reread the obvious bit of apache
documentation.  So I edited suexec.h and ran cc suexec.c -o
suexec and I got:

www:/usr/doc/apache-ssl# gcc suexec.c -o suexec
suexec.c:72: sys/param.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:73: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:74: unistd.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:75: sys/types.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:76: stdio.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:78: string.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:79: pwd.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:80: grp.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:81: time.h: No such file or directory
suexec.c:82: sys/stat.h: No such file or directory

locate confirms these header files are not on my system (to date
I've not compiled anything).  I can't use dselect to find them as I
upgraded sendmail to the slink 8.9.1 version which required I
updated libc and that's left dselect with a catch22 in that some
package insists on a particular level of libc (if I remember rightly).

Can you or anyone else point me to the right location to raid for
this headers using ftp?

TIA,

Chris

PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
   and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
   teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle  Tel/fax.:(+44|0)181-671 0868
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org