Re: Anarchy! Yes, Anarchy!

> On Aug 21, Paul Wade wrote
> > Does Microsoft contribute to my personal autonomy? If so, I prefer
> > anarchy. Linux is revolutionary in nature. What if Linus had decided
> > instead to develop something that required Windows or SCO Unix? I notice
> > that the people behind Debian like to avoid dependencies on commercial
> > products. It is a reality that many users could not create their first
> > rescue floppy without MS-DOS, but we have to live with it because we don't
> > want to be such 'purists' that we have to ship floppies to get people
> > started.

There's not really a solution to that, ever, for an OS distributed on the
Internet. MS distributes boot floppies with their non-upgrade OS products
for the same reason.

Well, there is one solution.. just convince the BIOS manufacturers to include
PPP code in the BIOS which can dialup and download the boot code. :-)

Hamish