Installing kde 1.1 pre2

I need some help.  I have tried with absolutely no luck to install kde 1.1 with dpkg but I do not understand all the syntax.(do we still use that term?) I think I have all the files except for qt1.42 as I am unsure of exactly where to find it.  Can someone please give me instructions for installing it under debian 2 . If I need to upgrade to slink, thats no problem.  Some of the files end in .lsm and 3 are .deb.  I have been able to extract the debs but don't have a clue what to do with the lsm's or the binaries.  If someone has just installed kde 1.1 and all the commands are still fairly fresh in your mind would you please spell it out for me.

frustrated