Re: Debian Meeting tomorrow: Ian Jackson, Dale Sheetz, LinuxWorld

Quoting Joey Hess (joey@kitenet.net):

> Bay Area Debian, the only known Debian user's group, will hold its first
> meeting tomorrow at 9:30pm in the CoffeeNet internet cafe in San Fransisco.

FYI, I'm the guy who lives upstairs, and as such can have you at
The CoffeeNet as my guest for some time after its 11 PM Saturday
closing time, if need be.  (I am not part of CoffeeNet management,
just a neighbour and co-tenant at the same building.)

The meeting is now listed on Bay Area Linux Events aka "BALE"
(http://linuxmafia.com/bale/), with a street map at
http://linuxmafia.com/bale/map-coffeenet.jpeg.

Parking at _9:30 PM_, Saturday night, probably won't be bad, but
starts becoming scarce starting around 10-11 PM because of two nearby
dance clubs.  You are advised to not leave valuables visible in your
car if you park near the dance clubs:  Thieves often do smash-and-grab
jobs on club nights, because they know that club-goers tend to leave
purses et al. in their cars.

Please also be aware that the CoffeeNet parking lot is reserved parking
on club nights, costing $7.  (It fills up after about 11 PM, when the
nearby street parking starts becoming scarce.)

Here are my own directions, taken from the BALE listing for CABAL:

    By Muni: Routes 15 Third Street, 30 Stockton, and 45 Union go past
    on 3rd Street, northbound. Routes 30 Stockton and 45 Union go past
    on 4th Street, southbound (but it's only a four-block stroll from 3rd
    and Market, or from the Transbay Terminal).

    By BART: Exit at Montgomery, walk four blocks south along 3rd Street
    to a right (west) turn onto Harrison. It's the purple building in
    mid-block.

    By CalTrain: The San Francisco terminus is at 4th Street and Townsend.
    Either take the 15 Third Street, 30 Stockton, or 45 Union Muni buses
    up 3rd to Harrison, or walk north along 4th, three blocks north to a
    right (east) turn on Harrison, and go 1/2 block. Return to CalTrain
    on routes 30 Stockton or 45 Union from 4th St. (or walk the three
    blocks).

    By car: From I-80 west, exit at 5th Street northbound bearing
    half-right onto 5th, go one block to a right (east) turn onto
    Folsom, three blocks to right (south) on 2nd Street, one block to
    right (west) on Harrison, proceed 1 1/2 blocks. From I-80 east, take
    4th Street exit, bearing half-left (east) onto Bryant, one block to left
    (north) onto 3rd Street, one block to left (west) on Harrison, and
    proceed 1/2 block. On-street parking is 2-hour (1-hour in the
    alleys) during the day; there's a pay lot on the right (east) side of
    3rd Street, just past Harrison.

If Bay Area Debian needs Web space, I'll offer it on this (Debian-based)
bitty box, hugin.imat.com aka linuxmafia.com.

See you there.

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                                        This space for rant.