XF86Setup doesn't run (windowmaker?), with "error opening terminal"

Having upgraded xfree to new packages on Potato, I have tried to run
XF86Setup from the virtual console, xterm and rxvt.  In each case, I
get the message.  To wit:

> electra:/usr/doc/xf86setup# XF86Setup
> Error opening terminal: linux.
> Error opening terminal: linux.
> Error opening terminal: linux.
> Error opening terminal: linux.

or, with xterm
> Error opening terminal: xterm-debian

or, with rxvt
> Error opening terminal: rxvt

I see this in ~/.xsession-errors (as root):

> /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: got signal 11 (Segmentation
> fault)
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: a fatal error has occured,
> probably due
> to a bug. Please fill the included BUGFORM and report it.
> /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker warning: trying to start alternative window
> manager...
> /usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: got signal 11 (Segmentation
> fault)

/usr/X11R6/bin/WindowMaker fatal error: crashed while trying to do
some post-crash cleanup. Aborting immediatelly.
(END)