Re: perl script

On Jul 17, Ben Gertzfield wrote

>     Mike> I upgraded my system to hamm recently, and I am having
>     Mike> trouble with a script I have been using to create
>     Mike> invoices. The error message is:
>
>     Mike> ------ Snip ------
>
>     Mike> mike:~$ invoice -n Illegal character \015 (carriage return)
>     Mike> at /home/mschmitz/bin/invoice line 3.  (Maybe you didn't
>     Mike> strip carriage returns after a network transfer?)
>
>     Mike> ------ Snip ------
>
>     Mike> The only transfers this script has gotten have been
>     Mike> accomplished by cp. If I put a # at the end of line 3, the
>     Mike> error just moves up one.  Has anyone seen/solved this error?
>
> Perl 5.004 does not allow DOS carriage returns at the end of line.
> You will have to go through and remove all the ^Ms from the script.
>
> (an easy way to do that would be to 'pico filename', then just save)

I don't have pico, and usually use only vim. Vim showed no ^M's so I was
fairly satisfied that they did not exist. I started looking at the file
in other editors on my system, ae & xedit, ae showed none, but xedit saw
them big as life. Is vim now trying to be compatible with M$?!! I may
have to find a new editor.

  Mike Schmitz     mschmitz@bend-or.com    http://www.bend-or.com/~mschmitz
  Don't blame me - I voted libertarian!    http://www.lp.org/
  Use Debian Linux - the free Gnu/Linux    http://www.debian.org/