Re: my kernel does not assemble!

On  5 Feb, Mike Marsman wrote:
> Hey all ... I think I have a question for ya  (hopefully it's not
> completly stupid)
>
> I'm running deb w/ the 2.0.34 kernel installed -- I want to recompile the
> kernel so I can add network support, but I've come accross a problem.
>
> I can switch to /usr/src/linux and run 'make config' ... the I run 'make
> dep' and finally 'make zImage'.  The config/dep work fine, and all the
> components of the kernel compile too.. but then the make zImage falls out
> on me after trying to run 'as86 ...', as86 being some program that's not
> on my machine!  I've tried to search for as86, and have come up with
> nothing.  I've even decompressed the kernel-2.0.34 source again, but
> same problem.  Am I doing something stupid here, or is this legit?
>
> I'm gonna try 2.2.1, and maybe that'll work okay.  It's just the as86 only
> appears in the Makefile for /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel that has the
> as86 defined in it.  I've tried replacing it with just plain 'ol as, but
> the switches for as86 don't work -- and it won't compile w/o the
> switches.. do I have to run something like 'make archdep'?
>
> .. many thanks from a confused user ..
>

> ..Mike

I'm guessing (no, I'm positive) that you don't have the bin86 package
installed.  The long description for kernel-source-2.0.xx indicates
that on intel platforms, you also need the bin86 package if you
actually intend to compile the source.  Just grab that and install it,
and you'll be fine.  Also, unless you're compiling a kernel for a non-
Debian system, check out kernel-package.  It provides a script
(make-kpkg) that builds the kernel for you and makes a new Debian
package out of it, with a revision number that you specify; this
prevents dselect/apt/whatever from trying to replace your custom kernel
with a prepackaged kernel.
--
Stephen Ryan                   Debian GNU/Linux
Mathematics graduate student, Dartmouth College