Mail && Users

I have a simple mail question.  Is it possible for me to use my local
mail server on my debian box for my mail?

Here is why I'm asking:
I'm wax_man@bellsouth.net.  Adduser tells me that wax_man is a bad name,
so I created a user called choover.  So, if I use fetchmail or what ever
to get mail, and send it out through my local mail, I need to let
everyone know that choover = wax_man for all outgoing/incoming mail.

I know that fetchmail can handle this pretty easily, but I have no idea
how to handle it on the outgoing side.

Any ideas and/or stuff I should read on it?

I'm now running debian-slink.

TIA,

chris