Re: Minicom problem

> Quoting ktb (ktb@binary.net):
> > Hi, I'm trying to use minicom to dial up my isp.  It dials and then asks
> > for a login and password.  After I do this I get the following error:
> >
> > login: xxxxx
> > Password:xxxxxx
> > PPP session from (12.13.120.16) to 207.140.121.113
> > beginning....~y}#.!}!}!}~
> > NO CARRIER
>
> Looks fine to me, so long as there's a time interval between the
> last two lines. You need to run pppconfig with the chat method
> of authentication. The when you type pon and it sees the ppp
> garbage (~y}#.!}!}!}~), it'll exchange LCP and you'll be on.
>
> > If I put an "S" in front of my login name it takes me to a shell
> > account.  I don't know what that is really but what I want is to be able
> > to access the internet and use Netscape.
>
> Then you don't need the shell account, just the ppp connection.
>
> > The reason I'm trying minicom
> > is I'm having a modem problem when I use "pon" and "poff"; if you have
> > been following the "modem freezeup" string you'll know what I'm talking
> > about.  How do I get this to work?
>
> Tell pppconfig the username and password as above, using chat
> (not chap or pap) authentication.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Email:  d.wright@open.ac.uk   Tel: +44 1908 653 739  Fax: +44 1908 655 151
> Snail:  David Wright, Earth Science Dept., Milton Keynes, England, MK7 6AA
> Disclaimer:   These addresses are only for reaching me, and do not signify
> official stationery. Views expressed here are either my own or plagiarised.
>
> --

I feel bad that I can't get this figured out but I have reread the minicom man page
and I can't figure out how to log on to my isp with minicom.  I have rerun pppconfig
I put in "binary.net" in the first line, which is my default.  Using "chat" as
instructed.  Doing that I would think would rewrite the old file not just create a
new one.  I can get online with pon by itself ok.  When I use minicom it still
connects as I described in the message above.  When you said, "when you type pon and
it sees the ppp
garbage (~y}#.!}!}!}~), it'll exchange LCP and you'll be on."  What did you mean?
What is LCP?  When I use minicom to dial my isp then I can't use pon; I get an error
message to the effect that, ttyS0 is being used, when I do so.  I don't understand
this.  When I use minicom it is like I'm online but not online.  I pick up my phone
and it sounds like I'm online but my email program (netscape) can't access mail, like
I'm not online.  Then after awhile the connection stops and then the message "No
Carrier."   I could sure use some help.
Thanks,
Kent