New User - Debian?

Hi

I'm still not a full new user because i still havn't stall any Linux
yet.

I got a Debian CD version 1.3.1, i know that is old and current version
is 2.0.

Before I download the 2.0 version and install it on my P350 PC, I would
like to know what other options with pros/cons do I have beside Debian
and RedHat?

I'm just installing to learn and for curiosity, i had some experience
with sun workstations and solaris so i'm not afraid of the unix
enviroment, just to wipe my HD  (AGAIN )  :-)
Regards

Leo