77MB log files and sound partially working (well, less broken :-)

After reading the kernel docs I kinda thought I had things figured out
but maybe not....

One poster mentioned that they started their sound card with:

  modprobe sb irq=5 io=0x220 dma=1

As far as I understand from the docs, if I configure everything as
modules and enable kerneld, then no conf.modules tinkering or
insmod/rmmod stuff should be necessary. I should only need to run
modprobe with suitable args as part of the system startup scripts.

>From what I can remember of configuring my SB16 PNP with isapnp and
the 2.0.x kernels (it's been a loooong time...) these were also the
settings I used and I use kerneld so the above line should work, and
_almost_ did, but at least makes things less broken. I'll explain.

About a day after upgrading to 2.2.1, I started getting "out of disk
space" errors, so I deleated a huge number files and about a day later
I got more of these errors and found out that /var/log/daemon.log had
swollen close to 80MB and /var/log/syslog.0 had swollen to 33MB.

Now running the above modprobe line stops these error messages (as far
as I can tell so far), and after doing it I can cat a *.au file to
/dev/audio and the first second of it or so plays and then it
stops. After loading x11amp (which fails to play at all) and then
shutting it down, subsequent attempts to cat a *.au file to /dev/audio
result in

  bash: /dev/audio: Device or resource busy

I don't know how to how free /dev/audio again, or what the problem
is. The relevent lines from my .config for the kernel are:

  CONFIG_SOUND=m
  CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=m
  CONFIG_SOUND_SB=m

All appears well to me as far as other system info, unless
/dev/sndstat should list additional devices other than the Sound
Blaster 16 (???):

  bash-2.01$ /sbin/lsmod
  Module                  Size  Used by
  sb                     30772   2
  ppp_deflate            38516   0  (autoclean)
  bsd_comp                3468   1  (autoclean)
  uart401                 5588   2  [sb]
  sound                  54456   0  (autoclean) [sb uart401]
  soundcore               2084   5  (autoclean) [sb sound]
  serial                 16840   2  (autoclean)
  unix                    9988  43  (autoclean)
  nls_iso8859-1           2024   4  (autoclean)
  nls_cp437               3548   4  (autoclean)
  st                     23320   0  (unused)
  ppp                    17712   2  [ppp_deflate bsd_comp]
  slhc                    4136   1  [ppp]
  vfat                   11304   4
  fat                    23640   4  [vfat]

  bash-2.01$ cat /dev/sndstat
  OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
  Load type: Driver loaded as a module
  Kernel: Linux HAL 2.2.1 #1 Mon Feb 1 03:07:32 PST 1999 i586
  Config options: 0

  Installed drivers:

  Card config:

  Audio devices: