Re: installation using parallel port cd-drive

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 08:25:11PM +0100, pizzinini wrote:
> I want to install debian linux 2.0 on my computer.
>
> I have an HP omnibook 600c and a Microsolutions backpack cd-rom 16770. The
> cd-rom is connected to the omnibook over the parallel port.
>
> I also have
> -bootdisk (resc1440.bin)
> -cd rom "debian linux 2.0"
> -floppy drive for the omnibook
>
> I can boot from the bootdisk and start partitioning my harddrive. But when
> I come to the point where I want to install files from the cd-rom, the
> backpack cd-rom is not recognized and I cannot load anything from cd-rom.
>
> Do I have to set special boot options? Any other ideas?
You need a special kernel with a driver for this cd-rom.
You could compile your own kernel and put this one on the bootdisks (and the
corresponding modules on the driver disks)

You will need a patch for the 2.0.36 kernel or an official 2.2 kernel. Look
at http://www.torque.net/parport/ for the former. You might need to create a
new device manually after booting with the new floppy.