Re: Meta and Alt keys

On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 05:36:17PM -0700, Gary L. Hennigan wrote:
> Rob Mahurin <alphenglor@rhct093.res.utk.edu> writes:
>
> | I think it would be really handy to change my keymap (either in X or the
> | console, or both) so that Alt is an Alt key and the useless Win95 Start key
> | is a Meta key.
>
> Hmm, I thought this was the default. I seem to distinctly remember
> changing that around because I hated those d*mn Windows keys so much I
> removed them from my keyboard! I'm using slink on my main system so
> maybe that's the difference?

I bet it is.  I'm running hamm.

> Anyway, the "xkeycaps" program is your
> friend in X! I think it's in it's own Debian package? It allows you to
> define the keys anyway you want, save it to a file, and I think tells
> you how to load it by default when you log in.

[snip]
> As I said, to each his own, but I hate those keys, even in
> Windows. Can't count the times in a game I was trying to hit the Alt
> key and hit the Win key instead only to be popped back to desktop. As
> I said, I pryed those suckers completely off!

I feel your pain -- that's why I want them do do something _useful_.

> In addition, under Linux I redefined my Alt keys, via xkeycaps, to be
> my Meta key for XEmacs too.
>
> Good Luck,
> Gary

Thanks much, I will look into these things.

As far as the console end of things, I can clarify my question a little bit:
the defkeymap.map loaded by "loadkeys -d" is not the same as the default key
map loaded at boot time.  Where is the second one?

Rob

--
Swahili, n.:
	The language used by the National Enquirer to print their retractions.