resc disk not recognized for install

I am trying to install Debian Linux on a Compaq laptop with 4 MB of ram using
floppies.  The lowmem disk works just fine to partition my hard disk. Then the
rescue disk boots up okay too.  However, when I get to the "load Linux kernel"
stage, it doesn't recognize my rescue disk.  I have made 3 different rescue
disk images on 3 different floppies, but it keeps saying "wrong disk, insert
the rescue disk".

Also, I have to initialize the swap partion with the lowmem disk in order to
run with virtual memory.  This seems to work out, but the instalation program
keeps telling me to initialize and activate the swap partition.  When I try to
do this, it says the device is busy.  Is this a problem?

Thanks for your help,
SG