X problems after an update

Well, I used dselect to update the available packages from SLINK (frozen).
And it listed a bunch as updated required. So, I let it install them, but I
didn't really look at what they were. My X was working before all this, but
now after doing the update, it no longer works. The error I'm getting is the
following:

FreeFontPath: FTP "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonta/misc:unscaled" refcount it 2,
should be 1;fixing.

Now, I'm not sure if this is the error that is causing the server to shut
down. but it is doing so. Before the error hits me, it shows "waiting for X
server to shut down" Then displays that refcount error. The last line that
appears during startup is "(--) SVGA: Generic SpeedUps selected (Flags=0x30)

I re-ran XF86Setup to respecify all my setup options, but it still comes
back with the same error. When I call "startx" it goes into X for a second,
and jumps back.

anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Will