Re: DSELECT - Install from CD-ROM - Block Device Name

Actually I had the same problem when I first installed debian and this is how I resolved it. Instead of trying to determine the block device name (which I did find, but it didn't work) you should mount your CDRom then choose install from a previously mounted file system from the dselect menu. To do this you first have to determine the block device name of your cdrom. I have a scsi cdrom so mine was scd0 for ide cdrom's it may be hda. For a full explination on how to get your cdrom up and running see the CDROM HOWTO.

Tom Persons
-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Harrison <leeharrison@picknowl.com.au>
To: Debian User List <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Date: Sunday, January 31, 1999 7:26 PM
Subject: DSELECT - Install from CD-ROM - Block Device Name

I have just installed Debian with relative ease (Floppy boot, base system from Official CD Dist) however with DSELECT I am having difficulty -- How do I find out the Block Device Name requested when I then try to install packages from CD-ROM?
Any assistance will be appreciated.  Thanks.

Regards,
Lee Harrison