Re: Do you still need screensavers these days?

In a message dated 1/31/99 10:48:39 AM Central Standard Time,
snmjohnson@iclub.org writes:

> The best screensaver these days is the monitor's power button.  You don't
> really
>  have to worry about image burn with today's color CRT monitors (and I would
>  think this would be doubly true for LCD monitors).  It's usually not a good
> idea
>  to leave a monitor on all the time, as for a CRT the electron guns will
>  eventually wear out, and there's no sense in having them going if no one is
>  using the monitor, and as for an LCD I suspect there exists an analogous
>  situation.  I don't know how an LCD monitor is put together, so I really
don'
>  know.

As for laptops, shutting down the monitor isn't exactly feasible. Also,
evidently, the screens laptops use have lives based (at least in part) on the
number of times they are started/stopped.

Jay