Re: Do you still need screensavers these days?

The best screensaver these days is the monitor's power button.  You don't really
have to worry about image burn with today's color CRT monitors (and I would
think this would be doubly true for LCD monitors).  It's usually not a good idea
to leave a monitor on all the time, as for a CRT the electron guns will
eventually wear out, and there's no sense in having them going if no one is
using the monitor, and as for an LCD I suspect there exists an analogous
situation.  I don't know how an LCD monitor is put together, so I really don't
know.

Sean

P.S. besides, setterm will blank the screen for you after a while unless you
change the default action.