major problems installing xemacs19

When I originally installed debian packages, it installed them in a bad
order, and I ended up with no menus in X11.  So, I uninstalled and
reinstalled all the x11 program packages in order to get them put into
the menus, and now xemacs19 is causing some major problems in dselect.
if I try to install it, I get errors of nonexistant xemacs files, and
installation quits, then if i try to remove the broken package, it says
it's seriously broken and cannot remove without being reinstalled.  I've
tried both installing and removing it multiple times without luck.  All
dependencies are correctly installed, just problems with that package.
Anyone have any ideas how I could fix this?
Thanks.