Which Kernel?

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions.  I currently use Debian 2.0 (Hamm, Kernel 2.0.34).
Everything I need works fine except my zip drive.  It works, but I can't use
the printer while it's connected.  Disconnecting one to use the other is a
pain.  I know I can use a 2nd lpt port, but I figure compiling a kernel is
easier than fidlling with IRQs.

My question is which kernel to get that.  I think both 2.1 and 2.2 support
shared parallel ports.  Also, where would I get the source and does hamm
compile these kernels or do I need to download newer versions of software.

Thanks,

Steve