Re: Newbie to debian, need network card installation help

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 BG96@aol.com wrote:

> I have a 386 16Mhz with 5 megs ram.  I've got an older SMC 8013WC network
> adapter for it.  My question is once I get the card in the machine where do i
> get drivers for the card and how do I tell that it is working?  I'm trying to
> set it up as a small slow server.

The kernel will probe and hopefully identify the card and load the correct
driver module when booting.  If it is a card with jumpers instead of an
EEPROM, you may need to specify the IRQ.  See the Ethernet-HOWTO
<ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/> or in the doc-linux-text
debian package.  You can also recompile the kernel and specify the driver,
either as a module or built into the kernel.

Bob

----