Re: Debian package to read Excel XLS spreadsheet

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, Kent West wrote:

> At 11:38 AM 1/27/1999 +0200, Johann Spies wrote:

> export data to a text file.  Anyone know of such a beast?
>
> <snip>
>
> >I have downloaded WingzPro and it looks impressive except that I could not
> >import a singel excel spreadsheet.  Every time I tries, I get a
> >segmentation fault.
> >
> >Johann
>
> Does this mean that WingzPro won't load any excel spreadsheets, or just a
> single specific spreadsheet? (An idiom of English is that a phrase like "it
> won't load a single file" means it won't load ANY file.)

So far every time I tried to import any excel file, I got the
segmentation fault.  I do not know whether there is something wrong with
my system  (ie libraries that wingzpro need).  I can also not enter
anything into a cell using the keyboard other than references using menus.

I also do not know where to get some info on how to use the program.
There are now tutorials, and very little documentation that comes with the
program.  I have downloaded the support-faq.html, but that also do not
help me to solve my problem.  I also did not see any reference to a
mailing list where one can ask questions on the program.

I would like it very much if I can get Wingzpro working. Staroffice is
just to big and slow.  I have also looked at Xesslite - a shareware
program. I could sucessfully load single sheets of excel files with it,
but it also gave segmentation faults when I try to import a multisheet
.xls file.

Johann.
| Johann Spies                                 Windsorlaan 19              |
| jhspies@futurenet.co.za                3201 Pietermaritzburg             |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310		       Suid-Afrika (South Africa)  |

     "My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not."
                            Proverbs 1:10